Do you have problems with uTorrent when trying to download files?
Do your downloads do not start , or do they go slower ?
I know, sometimes you can be infuriating when uTorrent does not download anything and you do not know why …
It happens to all of us
Anyway, I have prepared a list of the most common problems and errors with uTorrent
- Here you will find answers to why uTorrent is slow at times, and other problems that you normally have
Take a look at the entire guide and see if your problem is solved in any of the options:
If you do not find your problem, leave a comment below and try to get a hand …
- If you explainyourself correctly and give the necessary information
My uTorrent is slow. Why download so slowly?
I have already written many people mentioning:
“My uTorrent is downloading very slowly”
As I explained to you with other errors , there may be many reasons for this
If you want to know the actual rate of upload and download of your line, compute it from Speedtest
This way you can verify that the speed of your uTorrent is below the actual speed of your line, and you will know for sure that you are having problems with uTorrent
Anyway, the download speed of uTorrent depends on many factors
Your ISP is throttling uTorrent traffic:
Most ISP throttles download speed if any user uses uTorrent frequently so you will receive download speed while torrenting but other traffic like browsing or downloading will be as usual. To overcome this throttling you should use a VPN software. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic and hence your ISP can’t limit your download speed.
Also, downloading copyright material via uTorrent is illegal in most of the countries. Due to strict copyright laws, the hollywood companies will force your ISP to send you “CEASE AND DESIST” letter via email and if you again break the law , you may end up getting sued by these companies.
Safe your torrenting with a Torrent VPN like PIA
We recommend Private Internet Access VPN for torrenting as it has torrent optimized servers and you get blazing fast download speed. To top that all, it doesn’t save any kind of log, so you are good to go.
Look here some of the most common error, and how you can solve your problems when downloading :
A firewall blocks your line
Check that the Windows Firewall or a firewall of your antivirus is not blocking your connection
- The process varies with each antivirus, but you will have a Firewall option in the menu. Try turning it off and see if your speed in uTorrent improves
- To disable the Windows firewall, look here
Limit file upload speed
Try limiting your upload speed to a little less than the maximum of your line
Control what programs you are using
You may be using other programs on your computer that require too much bandwidth
And it may not be on your computer, but someone on your network is using another download program and limiting much of your access to the connection
- Check the programs that have assets on your computer, or those of other people connected to your network (download programs, Dropbox synchronization, etc.)
uTorrent error: A file does not have seeders
If the file you want to download has very few people (or anyone), the data will go much slower and it will seem that uTorrent is downloading very slow
A possible solution would be to add trackers to your download , since perhaps one of the new servers that you add will help you find seeders / seeds that have the file
- To understand what these terms are(trackers, seeders, etc.) and see how to add these servers , check the complete guide to add trackers to uTorrent
The solution may simply be to wait , since perhaps the person who has the file connects at another time and your download can start
Wi-Fi connection on your network is slower than cable
As you can read here , the internet connection on your computer will always be faster if you connect by ethernet (using a cable to the router) than by WiFi.
- Use a CAT-6 or CAT-7 network cable to connect your computer to the Internet
Common error messages in uTorrent
The best solution for most errors in uTorrent is …
Normally, errors are due to external causes that you can not influence (there are no seeders connected, the tracker is saturated, etc.)
- So you can not really do anything and it would be best to wait until it improves
Even so, there are situations in which you can solve the problem according to which error message you get
Check out some of the most common uTorrent error messages:
Error, previous volume not mounted
If the error message you get is “Error, previous volume not mounted”:
- Uninstall the program completely from the control panel
- Install again the most updated version ( here I explain how to download, how to find the latest version)
Errors “Problem connecting to tracker …”
There are several reasons why you can get this error in uTorrent :
The tracker may be saturated . I already have too many users connected.
- Wait until the tracker is released, and do not disconnect
- Add new trackers to the torrent you are downloading
uTorrent error: Authentication errors
Some trackers are private and you need a username and password to be able to connect to those
If you have found a list of trackers somewhere and now you have errors like “Problem connecting to tracker – HTTP Error 400: Not Authorized”, that’s the reason
- Remove those trackers and add new ones
Error “connecting to peers”, uTorrent does not download anything
If you get this error in uTorrent, there may be a lot of causes
Basically, the main reason for the “connecting to peers” error is that uTorrent is not able to connect with users who have the file you want to download
The cause may vary, as there may be problems with:
- Your Internet providerand your connection
- Your routeror network setup
- The configuration on your computerand operating system
- The adjustmentsin uTorrent
- The trackersyou are connected to
- Or the torrentyou want to download
Now that you know what the causes may be, go one by one checking that each of those steps works correctly.
- Can you use utorrent in another device contacted to the same network?
- Do other programsthat require connection (especially Bittorrent programs) work on your computer?
- Check that everything is configured correctly: see the uTorrent configuration guide , and read below about ports
- Check that the same trackerswork in another torrent / device
- Do other torrents work?
The error “connecting to peers” may also be due to the fact that uTorrent does not include seeders (other users with the file you want to download).
The best solution, as I said, is patience (before you start touching things that work well)?
Error in uTorrent: “error write to disk”
uTorrent can not use the file where you were writing the data of the torrent you were downloading.
It is usually due to another program (of downloads, for example) that you have installed in conflict with uTorrent
Or you’re downloading the same torrent more than once at the same time
- Go to the Settings of uTorrent → Capetas, and change the folderthat you have currently configured to another that you create in another location.
- If you have duplicate torrents in download, deletethe one that gives you problems
How to solve other problems with uTorrent
Varied problems that do not depend exactly on uTorrent , but that will be doubts that you find when using this program to download
How to open the file formats that have been downloaded
Sometimes the files you download will not arrive in the formats you would expect
Or you will not have a program installed to open that type of file
Look at a list with the most common:
Files .r01, .rar, .zip, .part01, .001, .002
They are compressed files and you will need a program like 7-zip (free and open source) or WinRAR
.Avi, .mpg, .wmv, .asf files
They are video files , like movies or series. You will need a video player, such as VLC .
- Additionally, you may find .mkv files , which are also a video format that you can open with VLC without problems .
- You may also see the .vob. They are DVD files but you can see them with PowerDVD , and many times rename them as .mpg and see them like that.
.Srt, .sub, .idx, .ssa, .smi files (some .divx)
They are subtitle files for movies, for example.
If you use a video player as VLC, simply dragging the subtitle on the screen will incorporate it into the playback.
Type .mp3, .mp2, .wma, .ogg
Audio files , such as songs or sounds.
The can play with any of these players Music
In case you do not know them, they are PDF documents that you will have to open with the Adobe Reader .
- Alternatively, you can use other options such as PDF-XChange Viewer
.jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png …
They are images, so any image viewer will serve you, all operating systems bring some installed
They are text files that usually include information about your download.
To be able to open them in Windows, simply rename them to .txt and they will open with the Notepad .
Acrhivos .iso, .nrg, .img, .cdi, .mrx, .bin, .cue
They are types of CD or DVD image
The best thing is that you mount it on a virtual disk drive to run them on your computer as if they were physical disks.
- You can do this easily with the DAEMON Tools
Additionally, if you want to burn them to a physical disk, you will need a program such as Nero, ALCOHOL 120%, etc.
.Cbr or .cbz files
They are compressed comics .
- Download a comic book viewerlike the GonVisor .
- Or rename the files (.cbr to .rar, and .cbz to .zip) and you can open them as folders with all the comic images inside.
How to open ports for uTorrent
The ports on your router are exactly that: doors through which a program can connect to the network from your computer
Each port has a number, and the port through which your uTorrent connects to the internet has to be open
Or you will not be able to connect
If you want to make sure this is your problem specifically , follow these steps:
- Access your uTorrent configurationand see what port you are using to connect:
- Go to this pageand enter that port number in the “port number” field
- Click on “Check”
- And ready, it will inform you about the state of the port
If it is open, your problem is not due to the port through which uTorrent connects
If it is closed, you have several options:
Change the port through which uTorrent connects
Access your uTorrent configuration and change the port number
Officially, the Bittorrent reservation ports are between 6881 and 6889.
Even so, many ISPs (Internet service providers) block or restrict these ports
So try with values between 49152 and 65535.
You can try the port without putting it directly in uTorrent:
- Access the page that I have left you above to check the ports
- Test the number you want
If you get it that is open , put that number in uTorrent and this problem will be solved
If not, keep trying
Random port in the uTorrent configuration
uTorrent also has the option to assign a port randomly to test if the problem is fixed:
- You can click on that buttonin the configuration, next to the field where you enter the port number
- And go testingto see if it solves your connection problem
Open the specific port on your router:
Opening ports for uTorrent on your router is a very simple process that will take 3-5 minutes, but varies from one router to another
So often difficult to find manuals where you explain all steps
You can look here or do a Google search with the name of your router
Do you have doubts with uTorrent ? Do you have a problem that you can not solve with the information I leave you above?
Leave a comment below and I’ll try to help you out.
Of course, remember to be concise, and give all the necessary details:
- If you write to me simply “it gives me error”, I do not have, by far, enough information to try to discover what the problem may be, as you will understand.